Saturday, May 6th, 2017
Open Registration - 8:30 a.m. to 9:15 a.m. (CST)
Symposium - 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (CST)
Lindsey Wilson College, Columbia Campus, Hodge Center
The major focus of this symposium is on substance abuse and mental health counseling.
Addiction, and addiction-related issues. Some topics include.
- Internet addiction
- Spirituality and addictions
- Childhood trauma, substance abuse, and suicides
- A Hierarchy of Addiction: A conceptual model for treating intra-psychic and extra-psychic patterns of addictive behavior
- The Legacy of Hope: Role and dynamics within addicted families
- Who is the client: Identifying and restructuring the family roles in addictions
KCA President-Elect Michelle Sircy
In this session you will hear the personal story of KCA President-elect, Michelle Sircy on the power counselors play in
the fight against substance abuse. As drug and alcohol abuse threaten our families and communities, Michelle will
share an inspiring story about the critical role counselors have in supporting all of those affected.
Invited Presentation: Why Psychoactive Substances Don't Hijack Most Brains and What this Means for Counseling.
Dr. George Richardson
Assistant Professor and Coordinator
Substance Abuse Counseling Program
University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
Featured Session: Hierarchy of Addiction: A Conceptual Model for Treating Intra-Psychic and Extra-Psychic Patterns of Addictive Behaviors
Steven Patrick, Ed.D., PC
Elijah Sprague, M.Ed., PC. CDCA
Awards Ceremony: 4:15 p.m.-5:00 p.m. at Hodge Center
First Award, $100, Second Award, $75.00, and Third Award, $50.00 (Gift Cards)